Cruise? Canceled. Cancer? Crud!
Mom and I had planned a cruise. Paid for said cruise. The Constellation will leave Ft. Lauderdale without us on February 13th.
Mom's biopsy results show the lobular lump she found in late December, had mammo'd and sono'd and pushed, prodded and biopsied over the past two weeks is cancerous.
Surgery - lumpectomy and some lymph node work, called Breast Conservation as opposed to mastectomy - is scheduled for February 12th. It would be February 5th, but she has a cold and has to recover from that first.
Doctor ix-nayed the idea of waiting until after the cruise. We were sort of crushed, even though we both felt it was inevitable. One bright note, we don't lose out completely on a refund. (we didn't buy insurance... last time I make THAT mistake) By canceling today, we get a 50% refund. I figured were were out the $$, but getting 50% back makes Mom and, I must admit, me feel a little better.
If they get all the cancerous cells during the lumpectomy and lymph node process, radiation will follow about a month later. If they find cancer in the surrounding cells or spread farther in the lymph nodes, she may face another surgery before radiation. She'll be on follow up medication - Tamoxifen, I think.
The prognosis is good. The lump was found while it was still small (though I don't think 2.5 cm is small myself!) . The doctor, while stating it is aggressive (it has grown a bit in 2 weeks), feels confident that it has been caught in time.
Until next time.