Friday, October 17, 2008

Good for Friday

Shelly at This Eclectic Life has started "Only the Good Fridays" - a challenge to post only good things on Fridays. I shall rise to the challenge to report the good I find, to spread some goodness amid the negativity that is so pervasive in our world today.

I participate in a number of groups whose focus is on providing warmth, providing hope, providing hugs, through hand-made items. Some of this may seem like tooting my own horn, and I do not mean it to be that way. I'd like the focus to be on the groups and not my participation. The pictures will show some of my contributions. The links will take you to find more information if you'd like to participate. Today's focus may be a little repetitious - I posted the mitten picture earlier this month (week?), but I really didn't describe the group well, nor did I mention future projects. So, first up on "Only the Good Fridays" is Macuwita sni.




"Macuwita sni" (pronounced “muh-CHOO-wee-tah shnee”) is a Lakota term which translates to: "I'm not cold"! The Yahoo! Group was founded by Kary (theknottysheep on Ravelry) after she read an article in the Northeastern Alumni magazine. Another Northeastern Almunae is our point of contact. We mail our warm goodies to Peg and she gets them to the places they are needed most.

Last year, I sent a sweater and some hats. In a most gracious thank you from the YMCA, I was told, as were the other group members, that they could really use some mittens.

So, we made mittens.

The goal was 250 pairs and we have achieved that goal. Here are my five pairs:



The elders are the next focus - though hats, socks, mittens and sweaters are always welcome. The next group goal will be shawls and lapghans and items of warmth for the elders, some wheelchair-bound, all living in a cold, cold climate. While their weather looks a little better than mine today -- they will hit sub-zero with negative wind chills for many, many days this winter.

If you are interested, click a link.

There is a group on Ravelry
and a Yahoo! Group



Spread some warmth and do something good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kathleen, you captured the essence perfectly. I love the goals of Macuwita sni. Thanks for sharing the group with us! I've gotta follow those links!

Marcia said...

Very nice job on the mittens. I should start knitting those again. I haven't made any for more than a year.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to give Kathleen! If only everyone had the same giving spirit.

I can't knit but I am trying to get the debt free message to as many as I can. Debt free families means more charity for all. This is why I will never stop coordinating FPU classes at my church.

Keep up the awesome and uplifting kindness for the reward is worth every stitch. I know that the people who benefit from your work are so thankful for you.

Thanks for stopping by Enemy of Debt!!