And so it begins! Three months of fun stalking and pretty presents! :)
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely not like?
I like smooth dk and light worsted best for non-sock things; I like alpaca lace and cashmere lace and pretty much anything that isn’t rough feeling. however I do.not.like. boucle, fun fur, funky lash, novelty yarns
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a zippered case for crochet hooks, the extras are in drawers and pencil cups and projects. I have a basket, a Nantucket bagg, and a bread crock for my knitting needles
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting since the middle of the Knitting Olympics in 2006. I learned from a book, the internet and careful questions and observations at my LYS. I had cast on and knit one stockinette scarf 37 years ago, but had not knit since then until the middle of th eKnitting Olympics.
Skill Level? Well, I’ve knit socks, large and small lacy shawls, numerous hats, cabled items, mittens, fingerless mitts, a child’s sweater, gloves… I have not knit intarsia nor fair isle nor have I completed an adult sweater (in progress with this). I guess I’m intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes I do. I will be updating it during the July 4th weekend, as it is sadly out of date.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Hmmm, well, for soaps and lotions a Vanilla or Cucumber Melon – subtle scents. I don’t really wear perfume. Candles can expand to the Fall and Winter scents, Apple Cinnamon, Pumpkin Pie, Baked Apple, rather than flowery, sweet scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Not much of a sweet tooth. Given the choice between Potato Chips and Dip and Chocolate Cake, I’d take the Potato Chips.
My favorite candy bar is a PayDay. A distant second on the list would be Butterfinger. Chewy, jelly-like candy and my teeth do not get along.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Knit and Crochet are the primary DIY crafts. However, I do have supplies for scrapbooking and beading. I also have been known to cross stitch, though it has been a long while.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Country is my first choice in music. I enjoy the 50s, 60s and 70s as well. Not a hard line rock and roller. I also count many musicals in my collection.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
Favorite colors would have to be jewel tones – mostly in the red and blue families. Forest green is better than lime; golds and browns are better than sunshine yellow.
Neon and overly bright versions of any color are quick turn-offs for me.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
No pets. No desire for pets. Single mom to two young men - 21 and almost-19. We share our home with my 73-year-old mom who is currently battling breast cancer.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
yes, yes, yes and emphatically NO
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hats are the fastest. Lace shawls give me the deepest satisfaction.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Gloves, shawl, hat, socks, lace sweater – all of these are in progress and get worked on periodically.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular and/or dpn – depending on the project. Bamboo or metal depending on the yarn. Straights are my least favorite and plastic is right down there at the bottom of the list.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes to both, and a niddy-noddy!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Any knitting UFO is less than 4 years old. We’ll not talk about the crochet afghan sitting in the corner for 10+ years!
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
I don’t really have a favorite holiday. I enjoy any day that I can sit at home and relax without the worry of work.
We do celebrate Christmas in our house, from a religious as well as cultural aspect. Over the years, I have found I get less enthusiastic as more of the ‘after holiday’ cleaning up and storing is left just to me. I’ve become a minimalist!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Not really, but I’ll add it to my Amazon list (see above), if something comes to mind! I have canceled all magazine subscriptions in my house.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Does time management count as a technique? I think I’d like to master what I’ve got going this year and try new stuff as I feel like it.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have made a few pairs of socks. I’d have to measure my foot. Secret Pal person, if you want to knit me socks, please ask for the measurements. I can tell you I wear a woman’s US11 wide width (usually, which end up being loose on the heal because my width is near the ball of my foot)
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
I am Radarkaty. Come find me at CPaAGg (the Completely Pointless and Arbitrary Group group). I spend most of my Ravelry time there.