Not sure the ennui has passed, but it's on its way out the door.
Decision the first:
My younger son turned 18 last week. He's near, yet far away from home; attending college about 1.5 hours away. He dislikes it. Promises made, expressly or indirectly, seem not to be true on campus and possibly in friendships. It is a small university with little entertainment and little opportunity to work for pay. I'm not really sure why he chose this one over others, except a friend was going and they could be roommates. He doesn't like it. He asked to come home for a visit this weekend.
On my way to pick him up, I had a premonition... Some of my premonitions are spot on, some a little over the top. In most cases, some portion comes to pass. This one was exactly as I thought - he wants to transfer to a different state school for the Spring 2009 term and going forward. He never even applied to the one he now wants to attend!
We spent the weekend discussing that decision and getting plans in place to get him moved to the bigger (MUCH BIGGER, indeed the BIGGEST) State University in Maryland... UMD. University of Maryland College Park. (I went there!) He'll have to commute, I think, because it will be hard to get housing for the Spring term, not having attended the Fall term. But this one is about a 1/2 hour closer than the other, so he should be okay.
That leads nicely into the second decision.
I'll be selling this house. I knew it needed to be done, which may be why I am stuck in the ennui, but now it needs to happen sooner rather than later. Mom will need some time to get used to new digs. I cannot delay too long. This house needs some work to be ready to sell for the price I'd like to get. I hope waiting until next Summer will give time for a little rebound in the market as well as time to paint, clean, declutter, etc., etc., etc.
The decision has been made. I've talked with my mom and she's all for it. (Yippee!!) I had asked her before where she'd like to live besides here and she always hemmed and hawed and tried to defer to me. As long as I we move somewhere I can afford and I can get to DC to work for the next 6 years, I don't really care. We had been at an impasse.
THIS time, when I asked where she might like to live, she mentioned her friends in Laurel and College Park and a few other places. Looks like we'll be heading North again.
This should work out very well from many vantage points. Son will be closer to school and can save money by commuting. Mom will be closer to her friends, her doctors and her social outlets. I will be required to get a move on and get this house decluttered and things sold. We'll be downsizing, so I hope to have a smaller mortgage which will make my life a little less stressful!
Two decisions made. A few more to make. I hope this has broken the log jam in my head and heart.
Knitting context next time. I hope.