Monday, July 24, 2006

What do you do for fun?

I knit. I crochet. I ... what do I do for fun, well, to pass the time anyway? Well, I crochet for others. I knit for others. I do a lot of things for others... I have a few friends and family that think I do too much for others. But there you go.

This past weekend, I went to a Knitting/Crochet Circle for HAP ("The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project"). I met some lovely ladies (I had only ever talked to the founder on the phone and via e-mail - so I went in sight unseen!). I saw some beautiful handmade afghans. These afghans are given to Walter Reed Hospital to be distributed to service members. The afghans are made of rectangles that are either knit or crocheted. Each rectangle is 6" x 9". Each afghan uses 49 rectangles.

At the Circle, some of us crocheted rectangles. Some of us counted rectangles. We all ate a delicious pot luck lunch! We talked, laughed and had fun!

The group will be getting together in September to lay out at least 50 afghans. A goal was set and looks to be met, for the group to finish enough 6x9's to create 50 afghans at Septembers event. Since is it only July, they will surpass that number for sure! 'Put together' volunteers will then crochet the donated rectangles ~ that have been put together in wonderful designs ~ into approximately twin size afghans to give to service members at Walter Reed.

An infinitely worthy cause (and the Circle was fun, too!).

Check it out at the Yahoo! Group (Rectangle6x9) if you care to see what it's all about... And you can check out pictures of some of the donations at the Yahoo! Photos site. (Note: You may have to have a Yahoo! account to access the photos, I'm not sure. I do know that you need a Yahoo! account if you want to join the Group!)

No comments: