Friday, May 30, 2008

Shhhh, it's a Secret (Pal 12, that is!)

Secret Pal 12 is on! I wasn’t going to sign up, but I really enjoy these things – so I did.

For my Secret Pal, the answers to the Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely not like?

I like soft yarns. I like worsted for hats and sweaters. Fingering and sockweights are good for shawls/scarves/socks. True laceweight and I have a love/hate relationship. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it! (currently lovin' it! :))

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

A basket, a crock, a zippered case, a pencil cup and in several bags! They are a bit scattered. When they are all behaving, if they are not with a project, straights are in the crock, circs and dpns are in the basket (usually in their original pkg), crochet hooks are mostly in a zippered case.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I’ve been seriously knitting for a little over two years. I’ve made a few pairs of socks (several with worsted or dk weight for youngsters; only one that really fits an adult foot made from sock yarn; but I'm persevering!), a couple of lacy stoles, untold numbers of hats in all sizes, a few scarves, dishcloths, squares, rectangles, booties, mittens, bags. I’ve cabled and beaded and heel-flapped. I think I’m late-intermediate to early-advanced (still having short rowed a heel or toe-upped a sock!)

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I do have an Amazon wish list that I try to keep updated.

5. What’s your favorite scent?

To wear – Oscar by Oscar de la Renta; to smell around me? Vanilla-based; maple; baked apple. Not too much on the florals. And heavy rose scents in the house give me a head ache – but I love the smell of the roses in our yard.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Not too much on the sweets. My favorite candy bar is PayDay (salty, nutty and a little sweet). Chocolate is generally at the bottom of the list, though as an accent flavor – not too bad.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I crochet, I scrapbook, I used to paint, I am trying my hand at beading, someday I hope to spin.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like country, country rock, older show tunes, and oldies (50s, 60s, early 70s). Yes on the MP3 question.

9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?

I like deep jewel tones – blues, burgundies, greens. Really screaming bright colors, such as neon, would be on my NOT list.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Widow with two sons. By late August both will be out of the house – either at college (younger) or living with friends and working (older). My Mom and I will continue to share our petless home.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Scarves and hats – yes! Mittens – sometimes, but I prefer gloves. No on the poncho – ponchos and fluffy women do not mix well!

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

This is a tough question – I like ‘in the round’ projects best – hats, mittens, socks

13. What are you knitting right now?

Ummm… two lace stoles (80% done one, 40% done the other); two scarves; a couple of baby hats and booties; and a pair of socks. Planned – more take along hat projects, as well as quickie crochet items (baby hats and booties) and squares for donations

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Depends on the project, though I will usually pick my aluminum/brass/whatever metal it is circulars for ‘in the rounds’, ending with complementary bamboo dpns. When I choose to use straights, I prefer the bamboo straits. Plastic is last on the list.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes, I own both, as well as a niddy-noddy and a nostepinde

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

Knitting? 2 years. Crocheting? More than 10 years.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

I like any holiday that gives me a day off of work and lets me sleep in late! I do like Christmas, but hate the surrounding hoopla. I like Memorial Day and Labor Day for their three day weekends.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Not intentionally!

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

The only current magazine subscription I have is Creative Knitting. I’ll be letting that lapse when it runs out because (a) I need to save some money and (b) I already have more than I can read, knit, do! I would like to get the Walker series of pattern books, or the Harmony Guides (though it looks like two of these are no longer available on Amazon.)

21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?

Toe up socks are next on my agenda. Not sure what else.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I have knit socks, not sure I qualify yet as a Sock Knitter. I did finally knit a pair that will fit me! Yay! I’m working pair number two. I wear a US women’s size 11 wide (mostly to accommodate the toe area, as the rest of my foot is not wide) – I measured by Cat Bordhi’s methods and they key points are: (coming soon)

23. When is your birthday? May 13

24. What’s your Ravelry ID? radarkaty


This is going to fun! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tis the weekend...I hope you are having a good one. (your sp12 pal)